Laminate over Radiant Heat
Shaw Laminate Flooring and radiant heat
All Shaw Laminate Flooring is approved for use over radiant heat. It is important to note that all installation guidelines must be followed and approved underlayments must be used. The radiant heating systems used must also be designed specifically for laminate flooring and should include a surface temperature probe incorporated with thermostat controls.
Successful installation guidelines:
- Newly installed water-type radiant heating flooring systems should be in operation, with the temperature set between 64-72 °F for a minimum of 4 weeks. This will ensure that any sub floor mositure has properly dried.
- Older/existing water-type radiant floor heating systems need to be fully pressure tested, properly maintained, and set to a minimum of 64 °F for at least 4 days before delivery, acclimation, or the installation of the flooring begins.
- Electric mat or mesh radiant heating systems must be specifically designated as suitable for use with laminate flooring systems by the manufacturer.
- Always check wood sub-floors to ensure that the moisture content is less than 12% using an accurate wood moisture meter. Concrete sub-floors must register "dry" using a reliable concrete moisture meter.
- The PH level of concrete sub-floors should register between 6 and 9 on a fourteen-point PH scale.
- Sub-floors must fully comply with all of the above "dry" requirements before proceeding with the delivery, acclimation, installation and any other required curing processes.
- Regulate the job site to ensure that the relative humidity is between 35 and 65 degrees, and that the temperature is between 60 and 80 degrees F, throughout the flooring delivery, acclimation, and installation.
- After completing the installation, do not change/adjust the radiant heat settings for at least 48 hours. At any given time after the initial 48 hour period, the homeowner should only increse or decrease the temperature settings 4 to 5 degrees per day, so that the laminate flooring can adjust to the temperature changes in a gradual manner.
- Never raise the flooring surface temperature setting above 85 degrees F.
It is important to note that when laminate is used over a radiant heating system, minor gapping can occur and is normal. Maintaining consistent relative humidity levels will help to minimize this occurence. Seasonal changes can also have this same effect on laminate so temperature and humidity controls should always be monitored to ensure the best performance.
Approved Shaw Underlayments:
- Silent Step Ultra
- 2 in 1
- Shaw Foam
You might also like:
Installation is a snap with VersaLock®AG™ and LocNPlace®.
Routine maintenance to keep your laminate floor looking new.
Underlayment is important for many reasons.