Key tips to consider when preparing for a flooring renovation
I consider myself a do-it-yourself kind of person. I love saving money, learning new things and making sure jobs get done right. However, with BIG projects I have come to realize that working with the right team can help get the job done better, faster and cheaper.
I knew I wanted to use Shaw Floors® luxury vinyl plank to replace about 1,500 square feet of flooring. We had never worked with a retailer on a project of this size so we weren’t quite sure what to expect. We ended up choosing Floor Source in Phoenix, AZ, because they have great reviews, are an authorized Shaw Floors dealer and had samples of the Northhampton Plank in Shelton Pecan that I liked on Shawfloors.com.
Tom from Floor Source
brought the samples out to our home to see in person and in our lighting. While he was at the house, he could see the work that needed to be done, measure the space and talk about what typically happens during flooring installation. We knew we made the right decision going with a local retailer/installer when he went over the process of prepping the floor properly. It is a lot of work! Choose a retailer/installer you feel comfortable with. Online reviews and Shawfloors.com are a great place to start!
If you plan on living in your home during installation, I came up with some tips based on our experience:
- Pack up and remove as much as you can from the work space, especially the small stuff.
- Plan meals ahead of time if work will be done in the kitchen.
- Have clothing ready for the week if flooring is going in bedrooms or if your rooms are full of other furniture.
- If you’re living at home during the renovations, plan outings each day. The installation can be loud and constant so a few hours out can be a real treat for everyone.
- Be prepared to clean. Our installers did a great job cleaning up afterwards, but it gets pretty dusty!