select product Room Scene

Retailer Support & Suppliers


Obtaining a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)

Obtaining a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
Business entities can obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) by completing Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number). Click here for the instructions. Note that foreign vendors do not have to have employees in order to obtain an EIN.

The EIN is the federal taxpayer identification number for business entities in the U.S. The IRS has established a special phone number (267-941-1099) where foreign applicants can obtain their EIN immediately once they complete their Form SS-4.

While Shaw Industries does not provide tax advice, we have provided a Form SS-4 Hints (downloadables section) to help you complete Form SS-4 if the only reason you are obtaining a TIN is to be able to complete one of the W-8 forms.

Individuals can obtain either a social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), depending on the individual's circumstances. Generally, individuals must visit a local office of the Social Security Administration to obtain an SSN. An ITIN can be obtained by filing a completed Form W-7 with the IRS.