Suggestions for Properly Completing Form W-8 or 8233
Shaw will be able to approve your Form W-8 or 8233 more quickly if it is properly completed. Shaw does not provide tax advice so we strongly recommend you consult with your tax advisor before choosing and completing the appropriate Form W-8 or 8233. You may wish to consider these suggestions as you complete the form. While our suggestions pertain to Form W-8BEN-E and W-8ECI (the most common forms), similar suggestions would apply to whichever form is appropriate to the foreign vendor.
1. Read the form's instructions carefully.
2. Complete all applicable lines or boxes.
3. Do not abbreviate the name of your home country.
4. Do not use a post office box or in-care-of address where indicated on the form.
5. To claim treaty benefits, enter your U.S. taxpayer identification number (line 8).
6. Please include your foreign tax identification number (line 8b).
7. Read the certification statement above the signature line carefully.
8. Sign and date the form and include your title where indicated.
9. Specific Form W-8BEN-E suggestions:
- On page 1, line 5, please check the box that applies to your company. The most common ones are:
a. Active NFFE (non-financial foreign entity). See page 7, line 39 for a definition.
b. Publicly traded NFFE or NFFE affiliate of a publicly traded corporation. See page 7, line 37 for a definition.
c. Nonprofit organization. See page 7, line 36 for a definition.
- Once you have checked the Line 5 box that applies to your company, please also complete the part number that applies to that selection. For example, if you check the box "Active NFFE" on line 5, you will need to also complete line 39 in Part XXV on page 7.
- On page 8, complete Part XXIX Certification. This section will need to ne completed by the beneficial owner or an individual authorized to sign for the beneficial owner. Please also legibly print your name, fill in the date and check the box certifying that you have the capacity to sign the form.
10. Specific Form W-8ECI suggestions:
- Remember that foreign vendors submitting this form must file a U.S. income tax return and pay U.S. income tax on all U.S.-sourced income.
- On line 11, describe the type of income you expect to receive from Shaw.