Resilient Vinyl Flooring Care and Maintenance
Congratulations! Your new resilient vinyl floor is installed and it looks amazing. In order to protect your investment we have some simple care tips for you.
Immediately following installation
During the first 48
hours after installation Shaw recommends that you:
- Keep foot traffic to a minimum.
- Wait 24 hours before putting furniture on the floor.
- Sweep the floor to remove loose dirt.
- Use only a non-abrasive cleaner, such as Shaw R2X Hard Surface cleaner.
- Do not use a vacuum with a rotating beater bar.
Following these instructions will ensure proper curing of the product.
Follow a simple maintenance plan
The type and frequency of foot traffic on your Shaw resilient floor will determine the frequency of maintenance needed. Regular attention to a simple maintenance program should include:
Use protective mats
- Remove dirt and grit by sweeping or dust mopping daily.
- Wipe up spills as quickly as possible.
- Use protective pads for furniture and appliances to prevent scratching.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.
It is important to use a good quality entry mat to trap dirt, sand, grit and other substances such as oil that would otherwise be tracked onto your floor. These mats will also help protect your resilient flooring from premature wear. Mats are also suggested at heavy pivot locations, such as in front of your kitchen sink or stove. If mats are placed directly on top of the resilient floors, use mats without latex or rubber backings to avoid possible discoloration.
Care for Stains, Spills, Scuffs and other Substances
There will be times when it is necessary to use more aggressive cleaning methods on your resilient vinyl floor. Substances such as acids, blood, dyes, paints, solvents and other contaminants will require special treatment.
To learn more about the treatment of these types of spills, please download the complete care and maintenance guide.