Care & Maintenance
Regular vacuuming is the most important step in area rug cleaning care.
Just like carpet, if you have a shag rug, cabled rug, or thick loop pile rug, use a suction-only vacuum or one with an adjustable brush lifted away from the carpet. Beater bars can agitate the pile and cause fuzzing.
View carpet vacuum instructions
- Don’t track dirt inside – place walk-off mats in strategic areas.
- Move your heavy furniture occasionally – and carefully!
- Use carpet protectors under furniture legs.
- Reduce periods of direct sunlight.
Spill Removal & Spot Cleaning
- Remove as much of the spill as possible. Work from the corner of the rug toward the center.
- If necessary, use a recommended cleaning solution like Shaw Floors Carpet Cleaner.
- Rinse the area with warm water. This removes any sticky residue that attracts soil.
- To absorb any excess water, layer clean cloth over the spot and weigh the towels down with something heavy to be sure the rug dries completely. This is important even when the rug doesn't seem very damp.
With regular care, your area rug will look great for years to come.
Area Rug Storage
When storing a rug, follow these simple guidelines to make sure it looks and feels every bit as wonderful as it did before storage.
- Vacuum the rug before storing it.
- Roll it up with the backing side out.
- To protect the rug from dust, consider wrapping or covering the rolled rug with cloth or plastic. Make sure that the material of the cover does not have a strong dye.
- Do not wrap the rug too tightly; allow a little room for air to circulate.
- Store in a climate-controlled room with low humidity levels and out of direct sunlight.
- Avoid storing the rug directly on a concrete floor.
- Do not place anything heavy on top of your rug while it is stored.